Welcome

52 WEEKS OF PHOTOS, AND THE STORIES BEHIND THEM.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Underneath" - Flashlights

When I was a kid, I thought I was really clever. I thought I'd figured out ways to get around bedtime rules without getting caught. What else was I supposed to think? I routinely ignored my bedtime and never got in trouble for it.

My system was simple. I'd let my parents tuck me into bed at the usual time, and then I'd wait for them to turn off the lights and close the door. As soon as that happened I'd dive for my night table and the book and flashlight I kept there. I'd throw the covers over my head and read by the thin light of the flashlight.

I thought I was so clever.

Turns out, my parents knew what I was up to, but since I was "getting away with" reading, they chose to let me think I was an eight year-old version of James Dean - rebelling against the limiting constraints of a tyrannical system designed to crush my budding spirit.

Thinking about it, I'm sure they were right to let me think I was getting away with something. If they'd said, "Good night, dear. Go ahead and read under the covers with your flashlight now" I probably would have lost interest in it.

Anyway, knowing this story, you might understand my amusement when I walked into my daughters' room during naptime recently to find this:


Those are my two daughters, hiding under the covers together, using a flashlight to read a book.


I ran downstairs as quickly and quietly as I could to grab my camera. I turned off the flash and all of the sounds so that I might grab some fun shots.


Of course, with so little light, and no time to set up a tripod, getting a clear photo was difficult. Especially so because I couldn't ask them to stop moving for a second so that I could get one decently still shot.

Still, I must have grumbled just a bit too loudly.


Busted!

Now, go to sleep, girls. For real this time.

1 comment:

  1. This is great. I love that you walked in on them. I like your writing style.

    ReplyDelete