Welcome

52 WEEKS OF PHOTOS, AND THE STORIES BEHIND THEM.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Spring/Autumn" - Sprouting

The assignment for this week is "Spring/Autumn" and this is the first time during this project that I entered the weekend without any interesting ideas. In general, the only time I have for taking photos during daylight hours is on the weekend, so The Robb often will take control of the house and kids for an hour or so while I go around and play shutterbug.

This weekend I couldn't come up with a good subject that would encompass both Spring and Autumn, or even something interesting for either one separately.

Of course, my first thought was to go outside and take a few shots of the garden as winter lets go and gives way to spring. Unfortunately, this winter was so unusually consuming that my garden currently looks like this:


Piles of snow and ice have flattened every plant, bush, and shrub.


While they might have withstood the first 2-foot snowfall of the season, having 2 or 3 more significant storms within 10 days took a toll on them.


Considering what the people of Japan are facing, I'm certainly not going to worry about the fate of a few bushes in my garden. I honestly was not terribly fond of them anyway.

I only wanted to explain why it's a little difficult to find "Springtime" outside my house at the moment.

Or so I thought.

It was mild enough on Sunday to take the kids on a walk around the neighborhood, followed by a little playtime with sidewalk chalks in the driveway. The grass is still wet and muddy, so I was trying to encourage all three to stay on the driveway.

The girls were drawing colorful masterpieces and tracing each other's hands and feet while I tried to keep The Boy from shoving clumps of grass and mud into his mouth.

I happened to look toward the walkway at one point and something caught my eye.


Do you see it??

I'll bring it a little closer...


There. Down in the lower right corner.

Do you know what that is?? It's the very beginning of a sprouting flower!

I crawled over and cleared away all the debris so that my new friend could breathe, and then I saw that he has friends.


One day these beautiful green sproutlings will bloom into daffodils, but that's for another day.

On this day I was just happy to actually see a sign of spring.


It's been a long winter over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment