Welcome

52 WEEKS OF PHOTOS, AND THE STORIES BEHIND THEM.

Monday, February 28, 2011

"Vegetables" - Whole Foods Market

"Excuse me, Ma'am. Is there something I can help you with?" the baby-faced employee asked me.

I lowered my camera sheepishly and smiled. He did not smile back. In fact, he looked like he was about 12 seconds away from asking me to leave the premises.

"I'm doing a photography course," I explained, trying a smile again. "Our assignment for this week is 'Vegetables' and I couldn't resist your beautiful displays." (Flattery, yes, but still the truth.)

"Oh, okay," he said. "Have a nice day, Ma'am."

Repeated use of the word "Ma'am" aside, I was relieved. I wasn't sure how agreeable Whole Foods would be toward my camera.

I didn't dare set up my tripod, so I spent the next 15 minutes or so getting in the way and trying to brace my elbow on anything my might help to steady my hands.


I don't even like artichokes, but they look so pretty. My camera has a "food" setting, which allows me to adjust the colors a bit, so this is pretty much SOOC. All I did was crop out a little bit of the bin that was showing on the bottom of the frame.


I don't like tomatoes either, but they do look so cheerful when huddled in a group.


I desaturated both of these shots a little. As bright as they are now, they were glowing a little hot in the original image.

My youngest daughter has developed a taste for bell peppers. The red ones are her favorite, but she likes to eat them raw like an orange. She takes a slice and chews out the meat, leaving the skin to be discarded on her plate.

It's a little gross to watch, but I'm too excited to see her enjoying vegetables to make an issue of it.


This is the photo as I took it. Obviously, the colors are distorted and orange. I didn't have much luck correcting it later since most everything I tried to do to correct the orange tint in the pepper stems on the left made the yellow peppers look sickly and green. I think I just used the wrong color setting when I took the photo.

Live and learn, but I'm including it anyway since I really do like the perspective. Whole Foods really does an excellent job in displaying their food. It's gorgeous.

They even make lettuce look exotic and interesting.


I love it. But what if you prefer a little more color?


There are rows and rows of different varieties and flavors of lettuce. All of it is arranged to look incredibly appetizing and elegant.


I have no idea if this kind of lettuce even tastes good, but I really want to buy it. It will make a really pretty salad.

1 comment:

  1. That last one is swiss chard. It's a bit bitter, but it's good cooked. I wouldn't recommend eating it raw. Kind of like eating raw kale.

    ReplyDelete