Welcome

52 WEEKS OF PHOTOS, AND THE STORIES BEHIND THEM.

Monday, February 7, 2011

"Body Parts" - Feet

With all of the bad weather we have been having lately, it's been difficult to get out of the house to do anything, including taking pictures. I was relieved that this week's assignment was one I could manage to complete indoors.

"Body Parts."

I came up with some wildly inappropriate ideas right away that would have involved naked baby bottoms, but decided against it. Who knows who might see such photos, and although the idea of using them in 10 years to blackmail my children might be appealing, it's not worth the risk.

Instead I decided to do a study of our feet. I tried to take photos that not only showed their adorable little toes, but ones that also tell a bit about the subject.

Starting with the oldest, Number One is a snuggler. She has a soft heart, and just wants to love and be loved.

At the same time that I took the photo of her asleep in my bed (for the "Sleep" assignment), I looked down to find her toes peeking out of the bottom of the blanket.


I didn't do much to edit this one at all - I only cropped it a little to make it square. In the original the toes are running through the center of the frame. The square pushes them more toward the right side.

The photo makes me smile. Being curled up, relaxed, and snuggly is such an apt pose for this girl.

My younger daughter, on the other hand, is much more lively and independent. She's still loving and sweet, but more than one old woman has stopped me in the grocery store to say, "That one has a bit of the devil in her, doesn't she?"

She does indeed.


Crazy toes are so appropriate for Number Two. She's a ball of energy all day long until she drops from exhaustion.

Again, I didn't have to do much to this photo. The color was there, so I just blurred the edges of the carpeting a bit.

Now for The Boy.

He is just barely a year old and desperately wants to walk but he's still working on the tricky art of balance, so he's limited to crawling for the moment.

So he crawls. And crawls. And crawls.

He's constantly on the move, so this is the view I usually have of his feet.


This photo was more difficult to get tham I thought it would be. I had such a hard time getting him to crawl in the correct direction while convincing the camera to focus at the correct things at the correct time.

I'm happy with the final shot. I warmed up the color just a tad and made it a little more crooked so that he's crawling more toward the corner of the shot.

I tried to get a photo of The Robb's feet, but it didn't work out. Too much work, too little natural light, and a significant lack of good ideas. Maybe I'll still try to get one later this week.

Saving myself for last, I ... well, let's just see the picture.


A mom in her habitat. Chipped pedicure, a dirty floor covered with brightly-colored toys, and pants with a very high spandex content.

I didn't do a thing to this photo. One thing I noticed when I saw it on the computer is that there's a shadow of a dinosaur on the wheel of the tractor. Totally unintentional, but I love it!

So those are our feet. I'm sorry about my choice of nail polish. It's actually a dark purple color that I thought the girls would like. However, once it was on I realized that it is far too dark and looks like I've suffered an unfortunate case of frostbite.

Or perhaps I dropped a series of heavy objects on each of my toes individually.

1 comment: