Welcome

52 WEEKS OF PHOTOS, AND THE STORIES BEHIND THEM.

Friday, January 28, 2011

"Tired" - Failures

I'll admit that I didn't expect to be as consumed by this little project of mine as I've clearly become. I am finding myself thinking a couple weeks in advance for ideas of subjects for these assignments, and I surely didn't think that I'd have two, three, or sometimes four photos to write about each week.

Hell, I am pretty surprised that I'm still in the game at all.

However, pursuing multiple ideas for an assignment doesn't necessarily mean that they're all winners. This week has been challenging in particular, so I thought I'd share a few of the subjects I tried that didn't work at all.

First, I was getting ready to put The Boy to bed a few days ago and noticed that his sisters had sat a few stuffed animals in his crib. I thought they looked fun sitting there, so I decided to take a few pictures of them. I majored in English years ago, so I figured I'd be able to make a case for them representing "tired" if I needed to.

Unfortunately, the cute factor of these animals fell to zero in my photos.


I'm afraid they're going to come to life and attack my poor boy in his sleep.

The name "Chuckie" comes to mind...


Gaaah!

Sticking to the "just before bedtime" idea, I also tried to get my oldest daughter to pose for me.

I sat her in my husband's rocking chair with a teddy bear and instructed her to look tired.


Figures. The girl who was cranky and sullen when I asked her to put on her pajamas is suddenly full of smiles when I pull out my camera.

I actually asked her to snuggle her bear in front of her face to disguise her smiles.


Not great, but with a little creative editing, I think this one comes closest to what I was hoping for.


I cropped the shot in a more interesting way, and made it in a sepia tone. I think it makes the photo quieter, which might translate to "tired" a bit better.

I am unhappy with the shadows on the wall behind the chair. I'll have to work on that.

So those are some of my misses. This week was harder than the first few assignments, but I am happy with some of the work I did.

I think this is a nice one, for example.


That's an old shed near my office. I think it looks very tired...

1 comment:

  1. I love the shed photo. I can totally see it printed out huge and framed on the wall.

    ReplyDelete