Welcome

52 WEEKS OF PHOTOS, AND THE STORIES BEHIND THEM.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The 52 Week Photo Project

Hello, my name is Frances and I am a fraud.

Well, if not a fraud, I'm certainly delusional. I like to think that I have some lofty artistic core that is just screaming for an outlet, when really I just like pretty things. I like art that makes me happy, songs that make me hum along, and novels that make me imagine I'm someplace more exciting than the waiting room at the DMV.



I recognize that art, on some level, should have the power to make one uncomfortable, but I prefer to avoid discomfort in general, but most especially during the precious few minutes that are my own in the midst of my non-stop life. Perhaps some might think I am shallow for it, but I'm content to leave the dark side of the arts to them and sit comfortably with a pleasant image, a catchy tune, a Richard Russo novel, and most likely a creamy cup of hot coffee.



That's why this 52 Week Project interests me. The premise is simple: A friend sent me a link to a list of project assignments - one for each week. The challenge is to take, edit, and post at least one photo a week based on the given theme. Some are are fairly concrete concepts, such as "vegetables", but others are much more abstract. How does one photograph "planning", for example? I'm not sure, but the part of me who wants to be an artist is dying to figure it out!

So there you have it. I've set aside this space for myself to collect and talk through my project. I'll post the photos here and explain where, when, and how I took them, and then what I did to edit them. That last part is a completely new part of the process for me. Aside from cropping and fiddling with light balances I have never done any actual editing. Learning how to do it will be a process, but I hope that by the end of the 52 weeks I will have a much better understanding of how it all works.

I have set this blog up mostly for myself, but I am happy to have visitors. And if those visitors have some helpful suggestions for me - even better!

1 comment: